We tried the silk tie Easter eggs, but I was interested in trying a couple other techniques as well. Martha Stewart showed how to dye eggs naturally. One way was wrapping the eggs in purple onion skins, then wrapping in cheese clothe and boiling in a water vinegar solution. After peeling off the cloth and onion skins you are left with a beautiful, sienna colored marbleized egg. I loved results (shown in my picture above). I started it out without any kids around. I think it would be difficult for them to get the onion skins wrapped around the eggs. Eliza was helpful in the unwrapping stage, though. One step I added, that Martha didn't mention, was to wet the egg, onion skins and cloth and smooth it down to the egg to assure as much contact between the eggs and skins as possible. I found I had less white patches and a more all over marbleizing.
We also tried Martha's marbleizing technique using food coloring and oil. The results were OK, but didn't look as marbleized as her picture. I think I used too much oil. Eliza really liked them, though.
So, my favorites were the onion skin eggs, Eliza liked the marbleizing with the oil, and I don't think Ian really cares.
*You share a birthday with at least nine million other people in the world.*
2 comments:
Beautiful! Now you need to start collecting egg cups, like Annie has, for all the beautiful eggs. Or how will you display them? IKEA must have some glass containersk or Taipan Trading?
ok, way to martha stewarty. I haven't even told my kids you die easter eggs. They just show up plastic pull apart with candy in them. Super mom of the year.
Gwen
Post a Comment