Thursday, January 29, 2009

I heart New Zealand #1

OK, finally some New Zealand pictures! There are so many, and we did so much, that I am breaking it up. Today, our travel to, and first day in NZ...
We flew to NZ via LA then Papeete, Tahiti. That's right, Tahiti! I was SO excited to stop in Tahiti, even if it was for only a quick 30 minute transfer. I was awestruck by the beauty of the unique mountains and lovely scenery. The music being played for our welcome was so enjoyable. And the small flowers they presented us with smelled SO wonderful! I was so sad to surrender them at customs in NZ.
After a very long plain ride (or 3 to be exact), we landed in Auckland! The temperature was perfect, about 70-ish. As soon as we got our luggage (which ALL made it) and rental car, I quickly changed into my beloved flip-flops.
Our first stop, after the bank of NZ to exchange our $, we headed to One Tree Hill. On our way there we passed a Take Away (take out fish & chips) and an Op Shop (thrift store) right next do to each other! What luck! Check and check, two things off our list of to do's. We picked up up an order of fish & chips with a big bottle of L&P (Lemon & Paeroa soda), and I was able to get some board shorts at the op shop. Check.
We ate our picnic on a grassy spot at One Tree Hill, and then wandered around checking out the beautiful trees, monuments and sheep. Come to find out, One Tree Hill is now No Tree Hill. The "One Tree" blew down and was removed. huh.
Next we headed to Kelly Taurelton's aquarium. It was cool, your standard small aquarium. Now that I've been, I don't feel the need to go back the next time we make it to NZ. After the aquarium we headed to Hamilton, a few hours away, to stay the night in the Temple housing.
It was a great first day!

4 comments:

Erin said...

oh, i've been waiting for this! keep the pictures coming -

T Fowler said...

Amazing. Keep going and I'll keep checking back.

Susan said...

More! More! Everyone looks so happy to be out of the snow and into the tropics!

Winnie said...

Oh. I want to go to New Zealand and Tahiti too. . .