We spent a couple hours in the ER last night with Ian and his broken arm. He was doing some acrobatics off the swing set and broke his arm right in half. It was bending in an unnatural direction. YUCK! I took one look at it tried not to faint. I ran and got James telling him "we're going to the Emergency Room, Ian's broke his arm and it's really bad". James came right in and put him straight in the car while I got Ava in her car seat, and Eliza and Jimmy buckled. James' mom and dad met us at the hospital. Laura took the other kids to her house, while Jim hung out with us. The orthopedic surgeon was already on his way in for another little boy on the other side of the curtain who had also broken his arm (though not as dramatically). They gave Ian drugs for pain, then drugs to make him sleep while they straightened and set his arm. Yeesh. I had to step out of the room for that. There was the possibility that he would need surgery to put in pins, but luckily they were able to get it satisfactorily set. Now there is a 10% chance for surgery, but we're pretty confident that won't be necessary. The nurse who first checked him out asked if we knew he had a heart murmur. Uh, NO! She said she definitely hears a murmur, but it might just be from all the excitement. We should have it checked by his pediatrician when we get a chance. Well, we happen to be going to the Dr. for Ava's check up today, so I'll drag Ian along and have him listen to his heart. His pediatrician is very competent, so I don't think he's missed it for the past 5 years. We'll see. :(Update: Dr. Glade listened to his heart and did not hear a murmur. He said sometimes a flow murmur happens when the heart is pumping really hard, like with an adrenaline rush. So, all's well, considering.
5 comments:
I could hardly read you blog without feeling faint. I'm so glad James was home so you didn't have to do it alone. Poor Ian. Glad it's not his writing hand. He's got quite the track record now :)
What a sweet picture. Sorry you all had so much drama last night. Active little boy! Hugs to Ian.
Wow what a night. I think I would have fainted at the sight of the arm. How scary. I'm glad he didn't have to have surgery. Motherhood is full of drama and excitment. I'm glad you had family there to help you with your kids.
Isn't that his second in a year? You win the prize for most gross kid wounds this year.
What I boy cot the blog for a couple days and come back to this. That breaks my heart poor Ian. I am so sad. I hope that he is Ok and that it will heal alright. Is it his same arm? I am glad for doctors.
Post a Comment